Tuesday 8 March 2011

Books

Ever since I first learnt to bind books in first year uni (subject called Form & Structure), I've been making smaller books, with not as many pages. I wanted to use the verses I've drawn with other articles to make small books as gifts for people.


For Form and Structure (in first year uni) I had to make a sixteen page, A5 storybook. I chose to adapt the well-known story of "The Gingerbread Man". When I first thought about it, binding seemed difficult so I tried to practice just with blank pages and eventually learnt how to do it (with much glue on my hands and paper everywhere.) I modified the instuctions (which I found on the internet) to get the final product. Ta da!

Below are smaller (less than A6) hardcover books. The covers are made from wrapping paper I bought to add texture and thickness. I also added my own decorations to the cover using silver fabric paint.



A gift.

If you want to find out how to book bind, I suggest looking at videos(on youtube) on how others book bind hardcovers. This site shows you the basics, D.I.Y book binding. There are so many other types of binding as well like Japanese book binding and perfect binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment